About Our Senior Pastor
Rev. Adam Hamilton is the founding pastor of The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, a suburb of Kansas City. The church began in 1990 with four people (Adam’s wife, LaVon and their two small children) and a dream of creating a congregation where thinking people – non-religious and nominally religious people – would become committed followers of Jesus Christ. In the years since, the church has become the largest United Methodist Church in the denomination with over 20,000 children, youth and adult members and an average weekend worship attendance of 10,000.
Hamilton is the author of 22 books published by Abingdon Press and Harper. His writings are known for helping readers to make sense of challenging theological questions, to explore the significance of the biblical stories, and equipping Christian leaders to be more effective in their work. His books have received numerous awards and have been used in over 20,000 mainline churches across the country.
Hamilton believes that vital mainline chuches are key to reaching new generations of young adults who have been turned off by more fundamentalist expressions of the Christian faith. In the last eight years he has spoken to over 70,000 Christian leaders in 40 states on leadership and strategies for missional outreach. In 2012 he was asked by the White House to deliver the message at the National Prayer Service, a part of President Obama’s second inaugural activities.
Recipient of numerous awards and honorary degrees, Hamilton earned his Master of Divinity Degree at Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University where he received the B’nai B’rith Award in Social Ethics. He graduated with honors from Oral Roberts University with a degree in Pastoral Ministry.
Adam has been married to LaVon for 33 years. LaVon has been an important partner in every dimension of Adam’s work. They have two daughters and one granddaughter.
Adam's most recent books are:
- The Call: The Life and Message of the Apostle Paul (Abingdon)
- Making Sense of the Bible: Rediscovering the Power of Scripture Today (HarperOne)
- Revival: Faith as Wesley Lived It (Abingdon)
Adam has authored 17 other books and several small group studies published by Abingdon Press:
- Not a Silent Night: Mary Looks Back to Bethlehem
- The Way: Walking in the Footsteps of Jesus
- The Journey: Walking the Road to Bethlehem
- Final Words from the Cross
- Why? Making Sense of God's Will
- Love to Stay: Sex, Grace and Commitment
- When Christians Get It Wrong
- 24 Hours That Changed the World
- Enough: Discovering Joy Through Simplicity and Generosity
- Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality and Politics
- Christianity's Family Tree
- Confronting the Controversies: A Christian Looks at the Tough Issues
- Leading Beyond the Walls: Developing Mainline Churches with a Heart for the Unchurched
- Unleashing the Word: Preaching with Relevance, Purpose and Passion
- Making Love Last a Lifetime
- Selling Swimsuits in the Arctic
- Christianity and World Religions