Hunger: Backpacks for Hunger®
The reality for thousands of children in the Kansas City area is they will face a long weekend with little or nothing to eat. Be a blessing to 1,400 children attending one of Resurrection's partner schools because hunger doesn't take the weekend off.
What: Each week it takes 140 volunteers to produce 1,400 backpacks.
When: Backpack fills are on Wednesdays throughout the school year. Click on a date below to register. We accept 40 registrants per backpack fill.
Group fill dates are now full for the 2013-2014 School year. For other group serving opportunities check out FaithWork.
Backpack fill dates:
February 26th 4:00pm-5:30pm (full)
March 6th (Thursday) 4:00pm-5:30pm (full)
March 12th 4:00pm-5:30 (full)
March 19th Spring Break No Fill
March 26th 4:00pm-5:30pm Registers HERE
*Please check back soon for future fill dates to be posted.
Other Serving Opportunities:
- Pick-up Empty Backpacks – Tuesday's 8am -12pm from Elementary Schools. Requires heavy lifting and driving the church's box truck.
- Deliver Filled Backpacks –Thursday's and some Fridays 8am -12pm to Elementary Schools. Requires heavy lifting and driving the church's box truck. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pre-fill Items into Baggies - Every Monday 9am - 10am with food items in preparation for the fill. We meet in the Basement of the West Building at the Leawood Campus. No need to sign up just show up and help!
- Assist Matthew's Ministry- with pre-fill and backpack maintenance Tuesday's 1 -3pm. email@example.com
- Pray for the Children - Each week as they receive their backpack.
- Data Entry and Making Backpack Tags- Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning.
- Organize a Peanut Butter Drive learn more- or contact Mary Tostenson
Complete the volunteer interest form to learn more about the opportunities listed above.
All activities take place at Resurrection's Leawood Campus in the West Building.
Be an “Angel” by supporting a child with monthly or yearly monetary contributions - $15/month fills a student’s backpack for the entire school year (or $180/year). When you support a child, you will receive a brief profile so that you can pray for them throughout the year. To sponsor a child, click here to download the EFT Angel Form. Fill out the form and mail it to the church or drop it in the offering.
Age Requirements for Children Filling Backpacks:
- Children under 5 years are not permitted for safety reasons
- Families with children 5 years and older may attend with parental supervision. One adult per 3 children ratio
- Children’s groups 2nd grade and above are welcome (Sorry, we are unable to accommodate children’s groups under the second grade)
- Youth 14 and older may attend without adult supervision
Peanut Butter Drives for School Community Outreach Service Projects:
- Collect 18 oz jars of peanut butter to go in the backpacks learn more
<- Back to: Hunger Ministry