Hunger: Backpacks for Hunger®
The reality for thousands of children in the Kansas City area is they will face a long weekend with little or nothing to eat. Be a blessing to approximately 1,750 children attending one of Resurrection's partner schools because hunger doesn't take the weekend off.
What: Each week it takes 120 volunteers to produce 1,750 backpacks.
When: Backpack fills are on Wednesdays throughout the school year from 4-5:30pm. Click on a date below to register. We accept 35 registrants per backpack fill.
Where: Starting April 20th the Backpacks for Hunger ministry will be at the new offsite location at 15455 Metcalf Suite D.
Backpack fill dates:
Wednesday April 29th 4-5:30 FULL
Wednesday May 6th 4-5:30 Reserve HERE
Wednesday May 13th 4-5:30 Reserve HERE
Wednesday May 13th is the last fill for the 2014-2015 school year.
Other Serving Opportunities:
- Pick-up Empty Backpacks – Tuesday's 8am -12pm from Elementary Schools. Requires moderate lifting and possibly driving the church's box truck. Contact Bruce Gaddis at email@example.com.
- Deliver Filled Backpacks –Fridays and some Thursdays 8am -12pm to Elementary Schools. Requires moderate lifting and possibly driving the church's box truck. Contact Bruce Gaddis firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pre-fill Preparation - Every Monday 9am - 10am Unpack boxes of food items in preparation for the Wednesday fill. We meet in the Basement of the West Building at the Leawood Campus. No need to sign up just show up and help!
- Pray for the Children - Each week as they receive their backpack.
- Data Entry - Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning.
- Organize a Peanut Butter Drive at your school or workplace
Complete the volunteer interest form to learn more about the opportunities listed above.
All activities take place in the basement of Bldg. B at Resurrection's Leawood Campus.
Be an “Angel” by supporting a child with monthly or yearly monetary contributions - $15/month fills a student’s backpack for the entire school year (or $180/year). To sponsor a child, click here to download the Angel Form. Fill out the form and mail it to the church or drop it in the offering.
Age Requirements for Children Filling Backpacks:
- Children under 5 years are not permitted for safety reasons
- Children 5 years and older may attend with parental supervision. One adult per 3 children ratio
- Children’s groups 2nd grade and above are welcome (Sorry, we are unable to accommodate children’s groups under the second grade)
- Youth 14 and older may attend without adult supervision
<- Back to: Hunger Ministry