Hunger: Backpacks for Hunger®
The reality for thousands of children in the Kansas City area is they will face a long weekend with little or nothing to eat. Be a blessing to approximately 1,750 children attending one of Resurrection's partner schools because hunger doesn't take the weekend off.
What: Each week it takes 120 volunteers to produce 1,750 backpacks.
When: Backpack fills are on Wednesdays throughout the school year from 4-5:30pm. Click on a date below to register. We accept 35 registrants per backpack fill.
Choose a date below to sign up for a fill-For Groups of 10 or more contact Lauri at email@example.com to make arrangements.
Wednesday September 2nd 4-5:30. Register HERE
Wednesday September 9th 4-5:30. Register HERE
Wednesday September 16th 4-5:30 Full
Wednesday September 23rd 4-5:30 Register HERE
Other Serving Opportunities:
- Pick-up empty tubs – Mondays 8am -12pm from Elementary Schools. Requires moderate lifting and possibly driving the church's box truck. Contact Bruce Gaddis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deliver food –Fridays and some Thursdays 8am -12pm to Elementary Schools. Requires moderate lifting and possibly driving the church's box truck. Contact Bruce Gaddis email@example.com.
- Pre-fill Preparation - Every Monday 9:30am - 11:30am Unpack boxes of food items in preparation for the Wednesday fill and sort the returning tubs No need to sign up just show up at the Resurrection Mission Center located at 15455 Metcalf, Suite D and help!
- Pray for the Children - Each week as they receive their backpack.
- Data Entry - Monday morning.
- Organize a Peanut Butter Drive at your school or workplace
Complete the volunteer interest form to express your interest in the opportunities listed above.
Be an “Angel” by supporting a child with monthly or yearly monetary contributions - $17/month fills a student’s backpack for the entire school year (or $200/year). To sponsor a child, click here to download the Angel Form. Fill out the form and mail it to the church or drop it in the offering.
Age Requirements for Children Filling Backpacks:
- Children under 5 years are not permitted for safety reasons
- Children 5 years and older may attend with parental supervision. One adult per 3 children ratio
- Children’s groups 2nd grade and above are welcome (Sorry, we are unable to accommodate children’s groups under the second grade)
- Youth 14 and older may attend without adult supervision
<- Back to: Hunger Ministry