The Confirmation Journey
Are you an 8th-12th grade student ready to grow deeper in your faith? We would love to have you join us on the Confirmation Journey!
Confirmation is the time when a personal decision is made to confirm the vows of our baptism. At The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection, this happens as a group of students in grades 8th-12th join together for a semester of exploring who Christ is, what it means to know Him through a life-long relationship, and how we follow Him as United Methodists. Small groups are gender and grade specific. The Confirmation Ceremony is their first public affirmation of the faith of the church as being their own faith. The Confirmand is taking responsibility for living as a member of the body of Christ and for fulfilling God's purposes. Our first prayer is that each student involved will commit to a real and personal faith. Our second prayer is that they will begin to cherish the rich heritage we have as United Methodists. This includes the building of relationships with peers and adults who will support them in their faith. We strongly believe this is done through small group relationships long after the ten weeks of Confirmation are over.
Confirmation is not simply a “rite of passage.” Nor, just a class to complete. It is a step in a life-long journey of pursuing the heights depths and widths of God’s love and making a vow to live in relationship with Him for the rest of our life!
There is a fee of $85.00 however scholarships are available if needed.
- Attend sessions, retreat and ceremony (see schedule below)
- Weekly participate in another Church of the Resurrection program (small group, Youth Choir, Sunday School, youth group on Wed. nights, or a ministry team)
- Be an Acolyte or Cross Bearer for worship services 3 times
- Attend Church Service
- Serve on Mission Days
- Personal devotional, journaling and prayer, scripture memorization and homework assignments
- All students must be bapized before they can be confirmed. If your student has not been baptized plan on attending a short information meeting at 12:30pm in Wesley chapel prior to Confirmation kick-off on Sept. 15th. Special Confirmation Baptism ceremony date will be set soon.
Registration for the Fall 2013 session will open on June 18th. Classes will be held on Sundays from 1:00-3:00 pm in the Student Center, Leawood Campus East Bldg. All students are put into small groups of 6-8 students with two adult mentors. No friend requests made for groups. However, we will make all effort to put in groups according to feeder high school area. Please let Teri Chalker know in advance if you have any group concerns.
If you are a High School student in the Fall of 2013. We have two options for Confirmation:
1. Attend Sundayswith all dates and times as listed in the Fall 2013 Schedule below. You will still be in a small group with only high school students
2. Or You can choose to come on Wed. nights in the fall (excluding the kickoff, retreat and ceremony) for your weekly classes. Dates would be as follows:
Wed’s, 9-18, 9-25, 10-2, 10-9, 10-16, 10-23, 10-30, 11-6, 11-13
You will be given an option to choose one or the other when you register.
Fall 2013 Schedule is as follows:
- Sept. 15th, 1pm-3pm Mandatory Parent & Student Kickoff
- Weekly Confirmation Sessions - Sept. 22nd-Nov. 17th
- Nov. 22nd Friday 5:30-11:00pm Mandatory Retreat in Student Center
- Nov. 24th, Sunday 2:00-3:30pm Confirmation Ceremony in the Sanctuary at the Leawood Campus.
You must attend the mandatory events, and you can not miss more than 2 weekly sessions. If you miss a session you are required to attend a review session the following Sunday from 12:30-1pm. Those who miss more than two sessions, or the retreat, can not be Confirmed.
Mentors are needed to Journey alongside these confirmands. For 10 weeks you and your co-mentor will lead a small group of 8-10 students through the provided curriculum. Training and all supplies provided. We are not looking for people with all the answers but someone who will help these young people find their own. Questions or to Register contact Teri.firstname.lastname@example.org or 913-544-0287.