Stewardship And Generosity
Good stewardship practices result in great generosity!
Paul encouraged generosity at all times: "Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity." II Corinthians 8:2
Stewardship – to serve as one who manages another's property, finances or other affairs – is not just means for the church to raise money. It is a way of life that recognizes that everything we have is God’s, and we are simply managing those resources while here on earth.
The Bible is filled with examples of grateful response to God's generous gifts. The Bible also teaches about our personal responsibility to share with others and warns against selfishness and misuse of God's economic resources.
United Methodist approach to Stewardship
John Wesley urged those in connection with him to "Earn all you can and save all you can, so that you can give all you can." He modeled modest living and sacrificial giving. Wesley made sure those early classes of "methodists" took weekly offerings to help others in need.
Today, we United Methodists join others to help all of God's children…whenever and wherever we can. Just as Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes when the crowd grew hungry. Through our congregation, we are the heart, spirit and hands of God's outreaching love. Life grows here through the joy of generosity.
Practicing good stewardship and generosity
How can you learn and practice good Christian stewardship?
- Learn to set up and live by an annual budget.
- Pray about your regular giving to God's ministry and mission through Resurrection.
- Model the humility and generosity God calls you to do.
- Take Financial Peace University for the first half of life planning and The Legacy Journey course for the second half!
- Set up a schedule to eventually reach full tithing, or begin by tithing one week of every month.
- Give your time, talents and financial aid to Missions and our community outreach.
- Remember Resurrection in your will or estate plan through the Resurrection Foundation.
- Join the Stewardship and Generosity Team
The Stewardship and Generosity Team meets on the third Tuesday bi-monthly at 5:30 pm. We study new ways to enhance good stewardship and great generosity.