Sacred Steps 5K Run/Walk
Mark your calendars for the 2013 Sacred Steps 5k on Saturday, September 28th at 8am, UM Church of the Resurrection Leawood Campus.
All proceeds raised from the Sacred Steps 5K Run/Walk will go directly to address the needs of those living in poverty in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and all of Africa. In the DRC, HIV/AIDS has reached epidemic proportions, but only 2-3% of those who need antiretroviral therapy actually receive the treatment. The number of infant deaths per 1000 live births is 79.63. By comparison, in the United States, the number is 6.14. Many deaths are related to breathing issues, and the first 48 hours are critical. Surgeries are performed under general anesthesia with no oxygen, no monitoring and limited surgical instruments. Currently, 70% of the population has no access to any type of health care. Click on this link to learn more about Resurrection’s commitment to the DRC and how you can become involved.
Your support of the Sacred Steps Run will help in the DRC community of Kamina by:
- Provide funds for the church-sponsored HIV/AIDS center where critical counseling services, testing supplies and treatment are offered.
- Provide education on neo-natal resuscitation to save the lives of more babies.
- Equip the Shungu clinic with improved lighting and additional surgical instruments and equipment.
- Provide clean water for students, faculty, and patients at the medical university.
- Educate university students in areas of surgery and medical care. After graduation, most students will return home to provide health care to their communities.
- Event Details and Packet Pickup Schedule
- Route Map
- MAKE A DONATION!
- VIEW 2012 Sponsors and In-Kind Donors. We have awesome prizes for the top male and top female in each age category, as well as hand-made beaded medals for the top 3 males and females in each age category. These medals were made by AIDS patients at the Hillcrest Aids Center in South Africa and brought back by one of our Mission teams.
- Click South Africa or Malawi for more information about how Beyond Kansas City Missions is working on the continent of Africa.
2012 Race Results and Photos: KC Running Company
By registering for the 2013 Sacred Steps 5K Run/Walk you hereby authorize and consent for The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection to videotape and take photographs of you for ministry and promotional purposes. Photos and video footage may be used in any publication or website produced by The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection or its affiliates and contractors.