About Our Senior Pastor
Rev. Adam Hamilton is the founding pastor of the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas. He grew up in the Kansas City area. He earned a B.A. degree in Pastoral Ministry from Oral Roberts University and a Master of Divinity Degree from Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University.
Adam has received the Denman Award in Evangelism, and the Circuit Rider Award for excellence in church leadership. He was named Distinguished Evangelist of the United Methodist Church by the Foundation for Evangelism, and he was named one of the "Ten People to Watch in America's Spiritual Landscape" by Religion and Ethics Newsweekly. He currently serves as a member of the Board at Saint Paul School of Theology. He lectures on leadership, evangelism and preaching across the country.
The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection has grown from four people in 1990 to more than 18,000 adult members with an average weekly worship attendance of more than 8,800 in 2012. The church was listed as the most influential mainline church in America in a 2005 survey of American pastors.
The Church of the Resurrection has a three-fold focus:
1. Reaching non-religious and nominally religious people and helping them become committed followers of Jesus Christ;
2. Equipping and inspiring members to live their faith in mission to the community and world; and
3. Acting as a catalyst for renewing the mainline church.
Adam has authored 14 books and several small group studies published by Abingdon Press:
- The Way
- The Journey
- When Christians Get It Wrong
- 24 Hours That Changed the World
- Enough: Discovering Joy Through Simplicity and Generosity
- Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality and Politics (Read Endorsements)
- Christianity's Family Tree
- Confronting the Controversies: A Christian Looks at the Tough Issues
- Leading Beyond the Walls: Developing Mainline Churches with a Heart for the Unchurched
- Unleashing the Word: Preaching with Relevance, Purpose and Passion
- Making Love Last a Lifetime
- Selling Swimsuits in the Arctic
- Christianity and World Religions
Adam is married and has two daughters.